Sunday, April 13, 2008

Union Velo presented by RINET Company Hits the Mountain Bike National Calendar Races


As for the rest of the mountain bike team (me). I opened the season at the Tsali AMBC race in Bryson City, NC last weekend. This is one of the southeast's biggest races and part of the AMBC national series races. I traveled down there with a group of four of my team mates from the Lees-McRae College team. The conditions looked horrific, our preride on saturday involved several inches of rain, no visability, skipping chains, and a split up group. We finally got back together eventually in time to freeze while we washed our bikes, changed, and got back in one of my LMC teammate's van. We like to call it the Vantasy.



After we got back to the cabin, thanks to LMC, we ate about 600,000 calories and hit the sack for the next day. We had to get there early to plead with the officials because I forgot my license and Sean (cat 2 on the road) had to get an upgrade from sport to expert. The conditions were perfect, sun was out, it was hot, the track was dry and super fast. I still didn't have my newSID yet so I had to use my rigid fork. That turned out to be a little much for 35 miles of fast singletrack with lots of roots. The race was hard, and long, about 3 hours. Randy and Aaron both has a tough race in the Pro/Semi Pro group, Randy had to abandon after running out of water and Aaron broke a chain. Sean also ran out of water but suffered thru to get 6th in expert while I straggled in for 10th out of the 25 in our group.
This weekend I am headed to The Sea Otter Classic in Monterey California with 4 teammates from LMC. I am going to race the Super D and XC race. Should be a fun trip and a good chance to see some of the national competition that well be seeing at Mt. Snow in July. Luckily I got my SID from Rick on and the new bike is ready for this season thanks to all the help from RickSRAM, and Mavic.

Check back soon for some updates from Sea Otter




No comments: